So a few of us are exploring new ways of constructing scalable distributed agent systems and are playing around with architecting a first instantiation in either Javascript or in Smalltalk. We are interested in architecting a system that grow and evolve without collapsing on the weight of itself, much in the same way the Internet has been able to grow over the last 40 years without a reboot.

Relatedly, I was watching Alan Kay's'97 OOPSLA address <http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2950949730059754521 >, and his call for a Universal Interface Language popped out at me and I looked around for potential implementations since then. Wikipedia claims there hasn't been one yet:
  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Interface_Language>

I was wondering if folks know of any candidates for a Universal Interface Language that wikipedia authors may have missed.

And, if we were to make our own, should we start with a REST-like protocol <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Representational_State_Transfer> supplemented by server-side javascript or other such animal?

-Steve

stephen.gue...@redfish.com
(m) 505.577.5828  (o) 505.995.0206
redfish.com _ sfcomplex.org _ simtable.com_ lava3d.com