No, the pelaton uses the lead rider to break a bow wave through the air, but
the eddies from each rider's passage also curl around to give some lift to
the subsequent riders in the pelaton.  If you smoothed it out into one long
cylinder, it wouldn't work as well.

The vertical wind turbines work as a flock because they induce a sort
of do-si-do of the wind through the flock, where each rank of turbines is
positioned to catch the eddy from the preceding rank and throw it back to
the next rank.  Because the wind takes a longer than straight path through
the flock, it has to move faster than the unimpeded wind.  If you just set
up a stonehenge in the same arrangement as the flock of turbines, you'd get
the same sort of velocity effect.

Having the flock adjust its geometry could be a big win.  A fixed
installation would be tuned to the most likely wind speed and direction.

-- rec --