*
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Steve Smith <sasm...@swcp.com> wrote:

>  I've always wondered how sophisticated the algorithms for arranging
> windmills might be.

Here's a micro-engineering variation to keep you out of macro-trouble.

Now -- back into macro-trouble again -- if you had a flock of egg-beater
generators on a piece of Iowa farmland, could you run them as mixers and
give a tornado a leg up over the next town down wind?

-- rec --

Synchronization and Collective Dynamics in a Carpet of Microfluidic Rotors.
(arXiv:0911.4253v1 [cond-mat.soft])
<http://arxiv.org/abs/0911.4253>
from cond-mat.stat-mech updates on
arXiv.org</reader/view/feed/http%3A%2F%2Farxiv.org%2Frss%2Fcond-mat.stat-mech>
 by <a href="http://arxiv.org/find/cond-mat/1/au:+Uchida_N/0/1/0/all/0/1";>Nariya
Uchida</a>, <a href="
http://arxiv.org/find/cond-mat/1/au:+Golestanian_R/0/1/0/all/0/1";>Ramin
Golestanian</a>

We study synchronization of an *array* of rotors on a substrate that are
coupled by hydrodynamic interaction. The rotors that are modeled by an
effective rigid body, are driven by an internal torque and exerts an active
force on the surrounding fluid. The long-ranged nature of the hydrodynamic
interaction between the rotors causes a rich pattern of dynamical behaviors
including phase ordering and turbulent spiral waves. The model provides a
novel example of coupled oscillators with long-range interaction. Our
results suggest strategies for designing controllable microfluidic mixers
using the emergent behavior of hydrodynamically coupled active components.