As others have already said, this is about Vertical Axis Wind Turbines
(VAWT) rather than Horizontal Axis Wind Turbines (HAWT) like you see in
eastern New Mexico and west Texas.  The article is incorrect about VAWTs
being a new idea - Sandia developed the idea in the '70s and you can see
one of our surplused prototypes out at Clines Corner.  VAWTs have three
advantages - they are agnostic with respect to wind direction, the
machinery is less complex as the turbine is at the bottom and there's no
need for the machinery and complexity of the rotating head, and they can
operate over a greater spread of windspeeds (HAWT are limited by the
blade tip speed - if it exceeds the speed of sound they will break up).
   The reason HAWT have succeeded in the marketplace is that the blades
can be lifted up into the best wind area - the Sandia egg-beater VAWTs
are closer to the ground.  The turbines in the article look like they
beat that limitation by spinning around a tall mast.

  If I understand the article correctly, the concept of fish schooling
formation undoes one of the benefits of VAWT - being agnostic with
respect to wind direction.

Ray Parks                   rcpa...@sandia.gov
Consilient Heuristician     Voice: 505-844-4024
ATA Department              Mobile: 505-238-9359
http://www.sandia.gov/scada Fax: 505-844-9641
http://www.sandia.gov/idart Pager:505-951-6084