Owen,

We could do a Wedtech in September on it.  Do you have a cc you could
circulate to get us all on the same page?

-----Original Message-----
From: friam-boun...@redfish.com [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf
Of Owen Densmore
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2011 10:17 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Quote of the week

Nick: Next you are in town, lets read the original Shannon paper together.
Alas, it is a bit long, but I'm told its a Good Thing To Do.

        -- Owen

On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:44 AM, Nicholas Thompson wrote:

> Grant,
>
> This seems backwards to me, but I got properly thrashed for my last few
postings so I am putting my hat over the wall very carefully here.

> I thought..i thought .. the information in a message was the number of
bits by which the arrival of the message decreased the uncertainty of the
receiver.  So, let's say you are sitting awaiting the result of a coin toss,
and I am on the other end of the line flipping the coin.  Before I say
"heads" you have 1 bit of uncertainty; afterwards, you have none.

> The reason I am particularly nervous about saying this is that it, of
course, holds out the possibility of negative information.   Some forms of
communication, appeasement gestures in animals, for instance, have the
effect of increasing the range of behaviors likely to occur in the receiver.
This would seem to correspond to a negative value for the information
calculation.

> Nick

uncertainty. The opposite is the case.

> In Information Theory (aka the mathematical theory of communications) ,
the degree of information I(E) - or uncertainty U(E) - of an event is
measurable as an inverse function of its probability, as follows:

> U(E) = I(E) = log( 1/Pr(E) ) = log(1) - log( Pr(E) ) = -log( Pr(E) ).
>
> Considering I(E) as a random variable, Shannon's entropy is, in fact, the
first moment (or expectation) of I(E). Shannon entropy = exp( I(E) ).

> Grant
>
> On 6/5/2011 2:20 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
>

> "Philosophy is to physics as pornography is to sex. It's cheaper, it's
easier and some people seem to prefer it."

> Modern Physics is  contained in Realism which is contained in Metaphysics
which I contained in all of Philosophy.

> I'd be tempted to counter:
> "Physics is to Philosophy as the Missionary Position is to the Kama Sutra"
>
> Physics also appeals to Phenomenology and Logic (the branch of Philosophy
were Mathematics is rooted) and what we can know scientifically is
constrained by Epistemology (the nature of knowledge) and phenomenology (the
nature of conscious experience).

> It might be fair to say that many (including many of us here) who hold
Physics up in some exalted position simply dismiss or choose to ignore all
the messy questions considered by  *the rest of* philosophy.   Even if we
think we have clear/simple answers to the questions, I do not accept that
the questions are not worthy of the asking.

> The underlying point of the referenced podcast is, in fact, that Physics,
or Science in general might be rather myopic and limited by it's own
viewpoint by definition.

>  "The more we know, the less we understand."
>
> Philosophy is about understanding, physics is about knowledge first and
understanding only insomuch as it is a part of natural philosophy.

> Or at least this is how my understanding is structured around these
matters.

> - Steve
>
> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Robert Holmes <rob...@holmesacosta.com>
wrote:
> >From the BBC's science podcast "The Infinite Monkey Cage":
>
> "Philosophy is to physics as pornography is to sex. It's cheaper, it's
easier and some people seem to prefer it."

> Not to be pedantic, but I suspect that s/he has conflated "philosophy"
with "new age", as much of science owes itself to philosophy.