It's possible that...

- there may be a direct correlation between less intelligence and belief in what others will tell them (e.g. dogma and religious BS) - because neither knows any better. - and that may have nothing to do with whether a belief in the Divine is correlated with intelligence. - there may be a direct correlation between intelligence and the model of the Divine held by the believer. Those with little or no imagination may prefer the fatherly bearded figure on a throne or no-one/thing at all. - the more introspective may develop a model more subtle: e.g. 'existing' between the branes of the universes yet present 'everywhere' in one of 11 higher dimensions, fielding energies unforeseen that impact on the spiritually aware entities in the different universes under Its influence... or something completely different... perhaps it's metaphorically turtles all the way down (branes within branes within...) held together by...

No evidence of existence is not proof of non-existence - even if our limited anthropocentric concept of existence applies here. We may be thinking about It all wrong.

I've observed that the extent to which people "take it as an article of faith" depends on the school of teachings. Doubt - an antidote to fanaticism - healthily shows itself often, contrary to 'taking the article'. And as for the final interesting but loaded question... at least I'd like to think the BS quotient should fall.

There's a discussion of the religiosity and intelligence studies in Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence>.

Then there's the story of the Scottish atheist fishing in Lock Ness when suddenly his boat was tossed in the air. The fisherman gazed in fright at the Loch Ness Monster opening it's terrible jaws about to devour fisherman, boat and all. The fisherman cried out "God help me!". God replied " Why should I - you don't believe in me!" "Give me a break, I didn't believe in the Loch Ness monster a moment ago either!"

Timing may be everything.

Thanks
Robert C