The second part of your inquiry is about "rights":

I am certainly not a believer in God-given rights, as you point out. I'm pretty
sure I couched my claims in all the needed ways, that there was an assumption,
in our country, that certain types of things benefited society as a whole, etc.

There most common argument for a right of this type, I believe, should be that
the benefits are symmetrical between you and I. The benefit you get from
respecting my privacy is that I in turn respect yours. To the extent that I can
be "the person I want", you get to be "the person you want." This seems to me,
as a John Dewey fan now, the inherent experiment of America. What happens when
you let people live in a democratic country - not one in which "majority
rules", but one in which people are broadly allowed to do their own thing and
get the result it produces? The "right to privacy" is a foundational support (I
think) for the "right to self-determination". If we have stopped valuing the
latter, then we should have an honest conversation about that , instead of
trying to kick out the foundation while no one is looking.

Since we seem to need a better example... at this point I have no trouble
discussing how awkward it was when my mother sent me a "sweet 16" birthday card
during my freshman year of college. I wasn't ashamed of being in college at
that age, and I certainly wasn't guilty of anything as a result of my age. If
anything I was oblivious of it most of the time, and proud of it when I cared
to think about it. On the other hand, it made things very awkward when the
other students became aware that I was 2-3 years younger than most of them.
There was a similar extreme awkwardness to try to avoid when I arrived in
graduate school... and at my post-doc... and at my current job. At this point,
I am old enough that a few years doesn't make much difference, so I usually
will answer when someone asks my age, but I spent many years trying to avoid
telling people how old I was.

For me, at least, the ability to keep my age private was important for
regulating how others treated me. And I think I should have the right to that.
(Of course, you will probably point out, my birth record is public... but now
we are back to the two different meanings of public vs. private. I'm not sure
that it should be public, and at any rate I wasn't worried that a fellow
student would fly to San Diego and pull my birth record.)

Similarly, my sociologist colleague and I have done some research on atheism in
rural Pennsylvania, and I think it speaks to the same point. Most of the
participants in our study claim not to be ashamed of their atheism, but they
would still rather we don't tell everyone about it. The ways in which they
think it would change their social dynamic leads them to keep their lack of
faith hidden. For example, they want to avoid the awkward discussions they
imagine would happen around the Thanksgiving table every year. The ability, for
example, to have an anonymous account they could use in an online atheist chat
room, and to know their identity was private, was very important to them. To
some extent, I am sure, they would be embarrassed if their non-religious
identities were revealed to their families, but that is not their primary
motivation for keeping their beliefs private.

Hmm... I might be starting to ramble... but I hope my position is at least a
little more clear,

Eric

P.S. By the way, WASP, I can assure you that most of my relatives did not
immigrate to this country because they were criminals. (Maybe you are thinking
of the early waves of Australian immigrants?) My relatives might ultimately
have been choosing to leave or be killed... but politics hadn't gotten quite
that bad yet in eastern Europe and western Russia when they shipped themselves
over.

--------
Eric Charles
Assistant Professor of Psychology