On 1/18/13 10:32 AM, glen wrote:
To stress the point, I could argue that, if the clique endures, then whatever behavior they engage in already defines politeness, regardless of how impolite their behavior may seem to an outsider.
I think there is a distinction. Organizations that seek to endure need to prevent bully cliques if for no other reason than so that their officials maintain their authority, e.g. The President needs to tell the Generals what to do, not the reverse. I think it's a scale-free thing.

That means holding individual and emergent group behavior to some standard. People at all levels in the organization need to be able to agree that so-and-so went wacko and behaved inappropriately, that they don't need to tolerate it. Individuals can help this to happen just by acting consistently with the implicit standard, especially when it is in their interest to do so.

Marcus