Roger -

I fear you have something here... but I hate to give over to it. It is sending restless kids to detention where they learn from the rowdy kids there how to be rowdy, then send the rowdies to juvie where the nasties teach them... only to have 20% of our population in prison breeding new, more bad ways of being like antibiotic resistant strains of TB in the Soviet Prison system (read Paul Farmer), etc. ad nauseum.

I used to use the excuse for not voting of not wanting to "encourage the bastards" I weighed in thrice to get and keep the neoCons out of the White House, but I still feel this way. I love my lawyer, he's a total tech weenie and he loves what we do, but I hate feeding the machine.

Many of my non-science/non-engineering friends consider most of science/engineering to be a an "ad-hoc full employment act" for eggheads/geeks and that at least building nuclear weapons and redesigning the human genome keeps us from doing *more* dangerous stuff.

Those English Majors were *watching* us when we poured various substances into beakers over flames only to watch (and smell) them erupt in disgustingly colored, frothy, exothermic and fouls smelling reactions... even then they knew what we would turn into! Not all of them find this kind of behaviour sexy (nod to Dede on Owen's behalf?).

Good luck with your invention and I presume subsequent patent... I hope to be prolific enough to find a way infringe upon it!

- Steve
Steve --

I think we do it not because every patented invention is an exemplar of the system, but because some patents are so brilliant that they make up for all the grief that the rest of them put us through. Sort of like public education?

It's funny that you bring up patents, because I've been writing up an invention for the past few days. Obviousness is a real sticky point. If it weren't somewhat obvious, no one would understand it when you explain it. But if it were really obvious, then why isn't everyone doing it already?

Consider the possibility that all of the morass of lobbying, patent trolling, copyright enforcement, tax avoidance, hedge funding, securities fraud, insider trading, election rigging, and so on that our society supports might actually be our way of keeping those devious people from finding even more damaging things to do. Our society, its legal and political system, is an ad hoc full employment act for the ethically challenged. We tolerate a population of unsavory things done by people in order to avoid the even less savory things they might do if we didn't give them some kind of sandbox to play in.

-- rec --