Steve --

I think we do it not because every patented invention is an exemplar of the
system, but because some patents are so brilliant that they make up for all
the grief that the rest of them put us through.  Sort of like public
education?

It's funny that you bring up patents, because I've been writing up an
invention for the past few days.  Obviousness is a real sticky point.  If
it weren't somewhat obvious, no one would understand it when you explain
it.  But if it were really obvious, then why isn't everyone doing it
already?

Consider the possibility that all of the morass of lobbying, patent
trolling, copyright enforcement, tax avoidance, hedge funding, securities
fraud, insider trading, election rigging, and so on that our society
supports might actually be our way of keeping those devious people from
finding even more damaging things to do.  Our society, its legal and
political system, is an ad hoc full employment act for the ethically
challenged.  We tolerate a population of unsavory things done by people in
order to avoid the even less savory things they might do if we didn't give
them some kind of sandbox to play in.

-- rec --