Ah... the Commons!

The "Little Red Hen" story is about a generous creature who tries to help create or enrich the Commons and ultimately must retreat to a selfish position because noone else will participate.

Who here is as excited about contributing to or grooming the quality and value of the Commons as they are about benefiting from it, extracting from it? "WHERES MY FREE LUNCH?!" we chant!

In Northern NM many of us still live on acequia systems... a commons built by the people for the people and used by the people and maintained by the people. On any ditch there are those who spend the winter sharpening their tools to be ready for "ditch cleaning day" in the spring and there are those who manage not to even have tools much less sharp ones to help make sure the ditch holds water and runs clean and easy.

But *everyone* on the ditch wants their water. Oddly the ones most likely to be resentful when there isn't enough water, to blame those upstream for "taking too much" and those downstream for "not deserving" are likely to be the same one's whose tools are not sharp on ditch cleaning day.

To be fair, I know that there are many here who contribute code, documentation, scholarly papers, etc. to the Commons... but these are often the folks most willing to pay subscriptions, to buy articles, to contribute to public radio, etc.? Or am I wrong?

- Steve
Well, my point wasn't really related to the price.  It's more about
cost:benefit, or perhaps low hanging fruit.  The cops tell us to lock
our doors, not because locks keep out serious criminals, but because it
puts a tiny hurdle in front of the lazy opportunist criminals.

Seeing the bootlegs so high up in the page rank is what makes it
interesting, to me.  It's so _easy_ to steal.  That's what brings the
subject so much closer to conversations about "the commons" or the
public good.

At what point does ubiquity _force_ membership in the commons?