Pamela -

I think there are *many* valid arguments up one side and down the other of this topic, just as the (false?) dichotomy between Art and Craft.

I also think that while there are arguments for the deep pockets of government, there are also arguments against it. I can't find a transcript yet but I remember Freeman Dyson giving one of his (anti) Big Science talks at LANL decades ago. It moved me, especially since he was NOT preaching to his choir at LANL. Actually, he had many acolytes for Tolstoyan vs Napoleonic Science (as I remember him describing the difference in funding) at LANL but they were individual (often young) researchers trying to pursue one dream or another, not the rank and file of mid-career scientists cum engineers/craftsmen nor especially the administration.

I also agree that the advent of computers, for all the wonderful things they have done (I came to LANL to build computerized control systems for the Proton storage ring and went on to eventually build VR systems to support scientific investigation into measured as well as simulated phenomena) have also changed the game in some not so good ways. They've changed the way people (including practicing scientists) think about science, sometimes for the better, often for the worse.

My daughter is a Virologist who fights *every day* with her boss/mentor and almost all of the other staff at her institution to stay on track with "science" while they are all listening to the siren song of drug discovery... she is working on characterizing many things regarding the mechanisms of viral invasion of cells (Dingue and West Nile) while her bosses and peers are trying to divert her work (they have already diverted their own) to simple drug discovery... because they will get both rich and famous from that, but will *rarely* advance the understanding or the science a single whit. Oh well!

- Steve
Merle, I missed your comment and you are certainly somebody to me!!!!

P.