Owen,

Here's my $2 worth on this subject...

Technologists have known how to solve and re-solve the fragmentation problem for users for centuries. Essentially, the same solution has been reinvented under different monikers and different vocabularies since, at least in the western world, the ancient Greeks - who had to invent "standardized interfaces" for the broad adoption of musical instrument design. During the industrial revolution, the discipline and trade of engineering had to be invented to solve the same kinds of problems anew. After all, engines of any kind had to be commonly understood by the masses in order to gain broad usage and adoption. The same kind of thing recurred with the invention of the electrical grid and the creation of mass markets for electrical appliances that use it. And, NIST (nee, NBS) was established about that time to help things along.

In our time, one of the more recent and successful technologies to answer this call to combat fragmentation was in the software engineering, and went under the general heading of "object oriented technology". You know the names of some of its enabling mechanisms: "separation of concerns", "encapsulation", "interfaces" and "polymorphism".

But there are other interests at work than those of end users. Vendors want to divide and conquer. Programmers (er, web developers) want to invent novelty for its own sake and to have it dominate existing technologies.

My point is...I don't believe we have to treat the fragmentation of the Android market as some kind of inevitability that is out of our hands. Fragmentation has always been a wasteful propensity in technology. But the solution has been known since ancient times. If we aren't solving it, then probably we either have vested interests in not solving it (like some vendors), or we don't remember our history (like some programmers).

Cheers, Grant