Hmm, seems to me Correa has been on the side of the poor folks all along.
Ability to enter the middle class in Ecuador has much to do with your
color--how light or dark you are.  And rich folks like to pass on their
entitlement to their kids to insure that dynasties--political and
otherwise--hold through the generations.  You can call this
"family-friendly."  I call it anti-democratic, because it depresses
opportunity for those not born into that entitlement.

Getting rid of term limits, however, is a sign of stupid overreach--happens
to the best of men when they get into power--but the rest sounds pretty
good to me.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM, Gary Schiltz <g...@naturesvisualarts.com>
wrote:

> [A long post follows - I hope it is interesting to at least a few on
> the list (I'm thinking especially of Ivan Ordoñez)]
>
> Despite living here in EC for 7 years, I'm still trying to figure the
> place out. There are so many things I could say about it, but most
> would be just sort of gut feelings. My Spanish reading skills have
> only recently reached the point where I can read newspapers with
> little enough pain to make it worthwhile.
>
> First, the good things. The country is extremely varied
> geographically. It is about the size of NM, with a population of about
> 13 million. We have Amazonian jungle, mountains over 21,000 feet,
> Pacific beaches, and then of course the Galapagos. I live at about
> 6500 feet elevation, so I don't need much heat, and never any cooling.
> It's amazing living on the west slope of the Andes. I can drive half
> an hour and get an increase in temperature of about 10 degrees F,
> another half an hour for another 10 degrees. Or, I can drive half hour
> up our gravel road for a decrease of 10 degrees. So, up to a 30 degree
> temperature range in an hour and a half of driving. It's very
> beautiful where I live, but quite cloudy (that's why it's called cloud
> forest :-)  People are generally very friendly here, but the idea of
> "the truth" seems to be a little flexible. Non-prepared food is cheap,
> especially fruits and vegetables. It is still legal for foreigners to
> own land here, and land in rural areas can be bought for between the
> low hundreds of dollars per acre, up to thousands. You can get
> permanent residency by several means; Karen and I did so by investing
> more than $25K by buying land (and then building two houses on it).
>
> In my opinion, the bad things pretty much begin with the current
> government. Rafael Correa swept into power in 2007 on a populist
> platform modeled laregly after Hugo Chavez of Venezuela - many have
> called him "Chavez Light". At first, he was pretty moderate, and spent
> all of Ecuador's income from oil (I believe we are a member of OPEC),
> which was high because of the price of crude, on infrastructure
> projects. I wholeheartedly support investing in infrastructure. So
> though I was initially a little skeptical, after 8 years of GW Bush, I
> had convinced myself that leftist governments are a good thing.
> However, within a couple of years, the entire national assembly was
> from Correa's party, and the populist rhetoric, replete with
> rich-vs-poor talk, steadily increased. Then he loaded the courts with
> his supporters, so with all three branches of government, he has
> pretty much gotten whatever he wants. He has a huge ego and hates to
> be criticized. So, he started passing laws restricting legitimate
> criticism, much like Chavez. After a couple of journalists were fined
> millions of dollars for "libel" against Correa, criticism pretty much
> died, and many people became genuinely fearful to say anything
> negative about him in public.

> [...]

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
me...@emergentdiplomacy.org
mobile:  (303) 859-5609
skype:  merlelefkoff