Glen said: "So, the loop of unmarried <=> bachelor has information in it,
even if the only information is (as in your example), the guy learns that
because the condition has another name, perhaps there are other ways of
thinking about it ... other _circles_ to use."

This reminds me that, in another context, Nick complained to me quite a bit
about Peirce's asserting that that any concept was simply a collection of
conceived "practical" consequences. He felt that the term "practical" was
unnecessary, and lead to confusions. I think this is a good example of why
Peirce used that term, and felt it necessary.

Perice would point out that the practical consequences of being "unmarried"
are identical to the practical consequences of being "a bachelor." Thus,
though the spellings be different, there is only one idea at play there (in
Peirce-land... if we are thinking clearly). This is the tautology that Nick
is pointing at, and he isn't wrong.

And yet, Glen is still clearly correct that using one term or the other may
more readily invoke certain ideas in a listener. Those aren't practical
differences in Peirce's sense- they are not differences in practice that
would achieve if one tested the unique implications of one label or the
other (as there are no contrasting unique implications). The value of
having the multiple terms is rhetorical, not logical.

What to do with such differences..............

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician
U.S. Marine Corps
<echar...@american.edu>