Glen writes:

"How about, instead of interpretations, we think of applications, e.g.
commonalities between domain-specific languages?"

I'd make a distinction between embedded DSLs (built on general-purpose
programming languages) and DSLs which are not.   I don't want to get stuck
thinking about only those things where the language is established and works
well.   I want to be able to step away from it and change it when it doesn't
work.   If language L' does something useful L doesn't, then I want to use its
utility to drag the community along to my way of thinking.  DSLs lead to rule
by committee and stagnation.

Marcus