From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Steven A Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:01 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Nick -

I am very glad to note that you are recovering and your scrappiness is
properly returning!

[NST==>The best cardio rehab is for you-guys to keep annoying me.  Thanks
for that. <==nst]

What's powerful about it?

Nothing more than it is such a succinct statement negating the popular
fallacious apprehension of the mechanism of evolution, suggesting that there
is a causal link between "selection" and "innovation"...   the innovation
step is in the mutation, but as the quote states clearly, said *innovation*
is *preserved* (selected for) by the natural selection mechanism.

[NST==>Wait a minute!  What is the misapprehension of which you speak?   Can
you put it explicitly.  And, when you say that mutations are "random", what
precisely do you mean.  Unpredictable?  Clearly false.  We know quite a lot,
I think, about where DNA is vulnerable, and where mutations are likely to
occur.  <==nst]

 I think I held this misapprehension for the longest time, in the same way I
*still* think of the Sun orbiting around the earth when I have plenty of
reason to believe it is the other way around.

 What is presented to the world by the epigenetic system is not mutations
but "hypotheses" about ways to live.  And presumably epigenetic systems are
shaped by natural selection to produce  more or less plausible hypotheses.

And what is the "hypothesis generator" in epigenetics?  Is it stochastic or
deterministic? (and what examples of epigenetics are you thinking of?)  Is
"plausable" the term you want, or is it more "utilitarian"?

[NST==>What exactly do we imagine a "mutation" to be .nothing more or less
than a change in one or more letters of the code, or the surprising change
in the morphology or behavior of the creature that results?  The epigenetic
system has to "make" something of the code change.  There are gene editing
mechanisms and error correction mechanisms, and switches, on and off.  Drop
one letter of the code and the organism cannot make melanin;  but a lot of
work has to be done to turn that mishap into a "white bear."   <==nst]

  The randomness is largely notional.

I do think that "random" is a very loosey-goosey concept (like so many we
call out on this list), but whether the variation is produced by random
processes, pseudo-random processes, or merely processes with appropriately
broad distribution functions,

[NST==>did you complete that thought? I am eager to know where you were
going with that sentence.<==nst]

   I still think you guys are more captured by your model of evolution than
by the actual facts of it.

I think we (collectively) are guilty of this all of the time, though in the
spirit of "all models are wrong, some are useful" I'm not even sure I know
what a "model-free" fact might be?

[NST==>Oh, no, Steve.  WAY too broad a brush.  The problem is that you in
danger of using the same model to explicate your understanding of the
phenomenon of evolution as you later use to explain how evolution came
about.  <==nst]

 Facts (to me) imply measurements (qualitative, quantitative) which imply a
object of said measurement which in turn implies a model.   There was a
time, I believe when people felt they held "facts" about "the viscosity of
the aether" and the "density of phlogiston".   When those models were
superseded, those "facts" took on entirely new implications and meaning.

- Steve

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University