From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of Eric Charles
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 8:11 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] random v stochastic v indeterminate

Sorry to pull at a still thread, but I find this claim fascinating.
"Natural selection can preserve innovations, but it cannot create them."

Would we say the same of artificial selection? I'm pretty sure we would
normally claim that artificial selection has lead to all sorts of innovations.
Maybe I'm thinking of "innovations" more broadly than is intended?!? Aren't the
baring and tail-wagging, multi-colored, short-snouted, cuddly foxes an example
of innovation? (For those who don't know, it takes a pretty short number of
generations to turn wild foxes into reasonable approximations of domestic dogs,
and all you have to do is select against aggression towards humans.)

I know what the quote is trying to get at, but I'm not sure it holds up in the
wider context of things-that-cause biological innovation.

Best,

Eric

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Supervisory Survey Statistician