On 10/18/23 11:27 AM, glen wrote:
Here's PZ Myers policing his community:

The Gamete Delusion
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2023/10/17/the-gamete-delusion/

https://www.theparadoxinstitute.com/watch/is-sex-bimodal

I don't really have a dog in this fight other than the general feeling that I support underdogs (and not just the ones who fly off in all directions at once).

to paraphrase one of the more notable FriAM-Sages... "people should be called what they want to be called"...  harping on the emic/etic conflation some more, I find these discussions (e.g. Dawkins et al) rather off-point in this regard.   I understand (vaguely) why we all feel we must make sweeping generalizations about *other people's business*... some of it is an empathetic response, wanting to understand, but some of it is the response of someone who wants to control others.     These *are* conflated by circumstance in the sense that  in spite of the pithy aphorism "your opinion of me is none of my business", most of us actually *do* care what others think of us and it does effect how they interact with us.   It always feels unfortunate that those who want to tell others how to present/feel/be too often set the subject of debate.

I *expect* someone with their own dog in the fight to have an insider/personal view of these things and am generally interested and curious about their perspective up to their privacy.   For those who mostly just want to stir up a dogfight, I'm not particularly interested in their view beyond preparing myself for when *they* might choose to try to stir up a dog(cat?)fight in *my* backyard.

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam