Glen -

As always I'm at least as intrigued as confounded by the layered language puzzles you lay here for us.  I was drawn through the looking glass (down the rabbit hole?) with your reference both to "Presty" and "Legibility" and "Zetetic" realizing I could not read your post for more than "emotional content" without reading at least the one main link/reference you offered up and I was nicely rewarded (kicking myself) with realizing "Presty" refers to "those who honor or defer to the prestige of an institution (such as an alma mater".   Zetetic were more technical and more familiar but useful to have to dig down into.

I feel also "honored" to be a participant in your "Associative Memory by Internet Forum" technique.... I feel as if getting to overhear your maunderings I am absorbing useful (to me, or my affinity group of some sort) perspective as well as maybe information.  I don't know if you get the <delete> as much as I probably do, but I for one appreciate the depth and breadth of your reflections... maybe I have too much time and would be more well served if did duck out with a "TLDR" response... or not.

 I am not particularly a "Presty" although I think I *am* proud of my BS from a state (Northern AZ) university as opposed perhaps to a 4 year private diploma mill of some kind.  But only because I know that at least some of my professors were of high quality and dedication and their courses and the overal curricula showed it in many cases.  Perhaps a presumed third rate college would have equal or greater examples.

My daughter who pulled a PhD from UNM (Molecular Biology) struggles cyclically with the feeling that her proposals to various funding agencies are sorted by "Presties" and hers thereby get shuffled down the stack from ones submitted by Stanford or Berkeley (or many other prestigious universities) grads... I don't know how real that is or if it is a phigment of her imagination or something else.  In any case it interferes with her professional progression (either enforced from the outside or from the phantasm of her imagination)... she probably doesn't put as much effort into her proposals because of this real or imagined fact?  I think she would defer to your "legibility" argument.

I *do* agree with your/Dorst's "Legibility" argument and your anecdotal reflection on voting.  I helped Reagan run over the top of Carter "back in the day" and was so ashamed once I realized what I'd done (starting a few months into his term, but continuing well through the next two decades).   The shame of having been such a "tool" lead me to choose not to vote again for nearly 2 decades under the cynical cover "I don't want to encourage the bastards!" and the more rational "I should not vote unless I am (much) more informed on my candidates".     I finally took my own challenge and began to inform myself as much as I could on my candidates, especially the local ones who were so close I couldn't see them often... a certain complement to myopia?

I began to use the League of Women's voters reviews of and interviews with candidates and checked (out of the corner of my eye) the Catholic publications with a list of candidates/topics to vote *against* as a hint I might well want to consider (positively) those candidates/topics if for no other reason than to apply my own kneejerk moderation/complement to kneejerk single-issue voters encouraged by the Catholic Church (and many other institutions).

I realize (because you pointed it out) that I missed the point in my last response on this thread by thinking you were emphasizing gender dichotomy rather than "community self-policing".   I won't try to give a proper response to that at this point but to acknowledge that reconsidering your post through that reflection was useful...   To the extent that "communities" are holarchical, I think I have observed (in my own experience) that I am prone to misunderstand how someone who is "policing" my speech/thought/expression is NOT part of my community when they are perhaps simply not as *obviously* part of my community or the communities which we share are not top of mind for me in that context.   When adults who were trying to raise me (parents, neighbors, teachers, retail/service staff) I understood what/which-of "my community" they were and took their correction/policing/advice accordingly.   As an adult this was harder for me given that I wasn't sure who/when/how to moderate/admit other's "opinions" of my expressions/thoughts/ideas.   I could wax anecdotally on a few dozen instances where someone "got to me" and acutely bent my attitude and subsequent presentation with a well placed/apt observation which may have felt like an acute criticism in the moment but became a powerful "glimpse in a mirror".

Several here have "policed" my ideas/attitudes/presentation/speech in an appropriately professional and respectful manner (which in your case often includes a friendly "PFffffft!" or ?mocking? "Ha!" ) and I am always caught in the pain of recognizing the need for a refactoring and the opportunity it represents.   I love/hate it when that happens.  Those of you with the most blunt and pithy observations are the most likely to achieve this... the abrupt knocking-sideways that is always unwelcome in the instant but often fully valued upon reflection.   "receiving the keisaku" as it were?

- Steve

Along these same lines, I know there's a significant contingent of "Presties" on this list. And I still don't have a good note-taking app that I find convenient enough to use. So I'll post this here, in part because it's a higher order form of ad hominem, in part because of our Presty friends, and in part because I need to note it somewhere so I can find it again.

Bayesian Injustice
Why rational people often replicate unfairness
https://kevindorst.substack.com/p/bayesian-injustice

A tiny part of the red flag for Zach Elliott's bullshit (cf https://simonesun.com/blog/2022/5/12/stop-pretending-transphobia-is-scientific-debate for why I assert his rhetoric is designed bullshit), is his training institution, Oklahoma State. I'm sure it's a fine school ... maybe not as good as mine (Texas A&M), but prolly in the same tier. And neither OSU nor TAMU produce what I'd call well-rounded students ... at least not like what I've seen come out of Reed (in Portland) or Evergreen (here). And while Reed definitely has some prestige, I don't think Evergreen's in the same tank.

Yet another tangent: We have an upcoming election for several commissioner and director spots on various local boards. Now, I don't know most of these people. I see all the yard signs and such. We got a flyer in the mail where a challenger pointed out the entitlement of an incumbent. ("Do you know who I am? I'm the fscking mayor of Tenino!" 8^D) Yaddayadda. But what do you do when you're aware of your own ignorance but still believe in voting? You have a similar risk for zetetic injustice. I ended up almost blindly taking the recommendation for 3 of the board seats, the candidates for which I was completely ignorant. But everyone else on the ballot was equally "legible" ... I think.

I've had the same complaint about the fideistic shunt surrounding open source software. Just because some package is open source, doesn't mean you should import it, for a wide variety of reasons. A really funny example is https://qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code, which provides a moral something like "Yeah, maybe reinventing the wheel isn't as bad as they say it is." High order legibility is not only a function of the legibility of the atoms, but also of the composition, including both composition through time (e.g. provenance of data) and composition over space (high-order or cumulative structures).

And finally, just a tangent about Zach's trumpeting that he's written books. https://www.reuters.com/technology/chatgpt-launches-boom-ai-written-e-books-amazon-2023-02-21/ To be honest, I think I'd ascribe more *Authority* to a ChatGPT-written book on Gender Dichotomy than to a Zach Elliott book on it ... which is to say, Authority=0. Is Zach more or less legible than ChatGPT? I just don't know.