I made the mistake of confessing my handicap to a friend. Now he purposefully
says nukular as a kind of Castañedan slap on the back, or the master's whack
with the stick. He knows it knocks me out of whatever canal I was in. It's
irritating, but a good thing overall.

Actually, it started with the pronunciation of diacetyl, which most of my friends at the brewery pronounce "die-ASS-uh-tul". That's another one that doesn't
give me the hiccups. My Mansplainer homunculus doesn't even notice. But I did get a chance to discuss it with the owner, wherein I suggested that "ASS-uh-tal"
is a chemical group that's fundamentally different from acetyl. And, even though there's almost zero chance of anyone *ever* saying the word "diacetal", it's
still reasonable to prefer the more common "die-uh-SEE-tul". After all, nobody says "ASS-uh-tul-kole-een" or "ASS-uh-tul-een torch". On the
other hand, hangovers are discussed a lot in places like breweries ... with taprooms at least. And acetaldehyde is (almost) pronounced like
"ASS-uh-tul-dee-hide" (with some wiggle around "tul" vs "tal").  So, again, there is some slight reason prefer one pronunciation over the
other.

No such luck with nukular. Any desire to correct someone when they say it that
way is empty (and actually false) pedantry. I still hate it, though.