So there’s a fun frivolous branch from the cases you list here.

I happen to share your allergy at the not-nuclear (can’t even bring myself to
type it).

But on aks, I learned something a few years ago (10?) from our phonologist
colleague Ian Maddieson when we were doing language work together.  Apparently,
that pronunciation has gone back and forth several times in history.  At least
one of the early foundation forms was axiom, and the aks was directly from
that.  If I remember correctly, it had changed to ask just before the time of
Shakespeare’s writing.  I think I distinctly remember Ian’s saying, though,
that it was unstable and had gone back and forth a couple of times, but I don’t
recall his saying when.

One of the things I would ask John McWhorter if I had access to him, since he
has a lot of knowledge of cryptic roots of Black American English in various
dialects in Britain at colonial times, is whether there were minority dialects
sequestered somewhere in the isles where aks had been preserved, and that is
the American origin, along with retention of the habitual tense (he be walkin
by, contrasted with the present progressive he walkin by), or whether ask ->
aks was a re-innovation that took place in the Americas, because that
particular consonant cluster is labile and invites change.

Eric

https://bit.ly/virtualfriam