REC -

So prophetic!   love the coining of "gold" goo... and the idea of psuedopodia...   I'm sure I read this 12.5 years ago, but like the good LLM I am, I lost any possibility of attribution as soon as I'd trained on it!

-SAS

On 1/28/24 3:07 PM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
From: *Roger Critchlow* <r...@elf.org>
Date: Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Fwd: Next Dictator
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>

I keep thinking that the next big dictator isn't new.

Das Kapital is an artificial life form which by a process of natural selection pursues its own preservation and growth. It doesn't care which individuals or institutions survive or perish in the process, it just moves and grows where the return on investment takes it.  It has no ethics, no morality, and no sense of humor.

Daniel Kahneman in http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/23/magazine/dont-blink-the-hazards-of-confidence.html mentions analyzing 8 years of investment results for 25 successful investment advisers.  Though these were all experienced and confident men, the average year to year correlation in their results was 0.01.  The highly rewarded experts of finance have no real idea what they're doing, they are highly rewarded for an "illusion of skill", they play roulette with style and their clients buy them expensive clothes to do it in.  The news didn't faze them a bit;  that they can do what they do and get rewarded for it is all the affirmation they need.

In dealing with Das Kapital, I think we're pretty much all in the same boat.  No one knows where the slime mold will choose to extend its  pseudopodia, or which of the pseudopodia will thrive or wither, or what the novel beneficial or lamentable consequences will be.  Some of us worry about the suffering caused by the gold-goo-excrement, others worry about not killing the beast that makes the gold-goo, many just fight for the largest share they can get, and most of us could care less until the bucket of gold-goo-excrement lands in our neighborhood or the gold-goo pseudopod feeding our investments dries up.

--rec --