/Heat Death by Computation/

Geoffrey Hinton (who left Google in May 2023 so he could speak more freely/agenda-less-ish?) gives good lecture on the topic of the differences between wetware/analog (i.e. Human Cortex) computation (for intelligence/consciousness) and silicon/digital and why human brains can do what they do with ~20-30W compared to digital computer's attempting to do even a fraction of the same tasks require thousands of Watts (or much more since none have uniquivocally achieved AGI).   He attributes it (roughly) to the differences  in "style" of computation and how analog computing without overly strict concerns about reproduceability and zero error rates can outperform on the tasks they do (and conversely why a simple calculator, even a mechanical one, can often outperform all but the most savant-like humans easily on a tiny amount of power (think 70's solar-cell handhelds).

While I think that our voracious computational/informational appliances/infrastructure/habits (see my own fascination with GPT/DALL-E) are like (maybe?) everything we do, unbounded by anything but pushback from the environment.   The evolutionary push/pull that made us into the versatile creatures we are set us up to take/use until there is nothing left.   We have millenia of history trying to build self-regulating systems/principles (sacred rites to nature, personification of nature as-gods with rewards/wrath for not respecting them, rules about "commons", the EPA, etc. adn.) and yet the more aggressive or clever (sometimes both-ish... Musk...) always stay ahead of the rules... sometimes by being scoff-laws, but always (at least) ignoring the spirit while following or gaming the letter of it.

To the extent that our extant attempts to rein in our (un)enlightened (overly tightly scoped) self-interest) in is something of an Artificial Intelligence (I claim all bureaucracies are AI's, oft very inefficient, cumbersome, narrowly focused and/or mal-formed) then we might expect that is the *best* our incipient massive AI systems will be?

Or perhaps this is our greatest challenge/opportunity to recognize the leverage they will be giving "us" over "ourselves" (one-another) and seek to transcend or previous (and current and foreseeable) worst habits/instincts/practices?

This might be the inflection point in the Drake Equation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation>: //N = R/ x fp x ne x fl x fi x fc x L /(Sagan and others have suggested additional factors to describe humanity's propensity for self-destruction).

As a hard SF enthusiast, I'm always a little fascinated by the idea of every star (single or binary) system hosting technological civilization(s) hitting a singularity where they essentially become a Dyson Sphere very quickly once a certain level of technical capability is achieved. A nanotech (or better) sphere of "computronium) collecting the power-flux from the star/system and transforming it into computation/information and low-grade heat.... I'm sure someone (Niven, Vinge, Clarke, Asimov, Dyson, Sagan/SETI ???) has done the calculations to guess what spectrum to be looking in for such signatures?

Mumble,

- Steve