I was rereading Marjorie Perloff's 'Wittgenstein's Ladder: Poetic Language
and the Strangeness of the Ordinary' and paused after I read this quote:

   "When we think of the world's future, we always mean the destination it
will reach if it keeps going in the direction we can see it going in now;
it does not occur to us that its path is not a straight line but a curve,
constantly changing direction."

                            Wittgenstein, "Culture and Value"

 I  recently received two fat picture books as gifts for my birthday. They
both provided a decade by decade series of pictures and commentary about
events of the twentieth century. Wittgenstein's quote enhanced my
re-membering.

Brian McAndrews