Keith, while I agree with a lot of what you have written, I have added some notes of
my own.

---
Bill Ward
Research Director
Arthritis Research Institute of America
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Keith Hudson wrote:

> Happy New Year to all FWers. (I'm assuming that Futurework is operational
> now!) Here's something I wrote over the break and which will appear in a
> new type of Internet encyclopedia  starting in about a month
> (<www.calus.org>)
>
> ---------------------
>
> THE STRUCTURE OF FUTURE WORK AND ITS CONSEQUENCES
> Keith Hudson
>
> The structure of future employment will not be compatible with the
> distribution of talent
>
> ----------------------
>
> In human history there have been four distinctly different types of
> economies, each requiring different working structures, or intellectual
> inputs. The four phases are: 1. Hunter-Gatherer; 2. Peasant Agriculture; 3.
X Manufacturing Industry; 4. Post-industrial Service Society.

You might add that these types have co-existed and all 4 types are fund somewhere in
the world today. Plus, ith technology, you may see horticultural, matriarchal
societies in places like rural Ghana jump over #2 and #3 and go directly to a
fiber-optic network which allows them to write software program code in their village
and sell it by internet thousands of miles away.

> 1. Hunter-gatherer. Homo sapiens emerged from primate origins several
> million years ago and became indistinguishably human at about 50,000 years
> ago. Most of man's food was collected by the females, but topped up with
> animal protein from the hunting expeditions of the males. Their daily life
> was perilous because predators could easily attack their primitive camps
> and hunting groups, and the unintelligent or incapable would be easily
> culled. By definition, the normal genetic distribution of abilities that
> man's predecessors had evolved over millions of years precisely matched the
> 'job structure' of early man.  For our purposes, this genetic distribution
> may be considered to be a diamond shape in which the abilities of the broad
> mass of the population lie across the widest part of the diamond, with
> decreasingly fewer people of much higher or lower abilities occupying the
> top and and bottom parts of the shape.
>
> 2. Peasant Agriculture: From the time when man had finally extinguished
> most slow-moving large game at around 10,000BC, he had to resort
> increasingly to settled agriculture. Generally, this required far less
> intelligence than hunting. However, the ability to store cereals and the
> development of metal products (including coinage) which then followed meant
> that wealth could be passed on within families and, from then onwards,
> society became dynastic and intensely hierarchical. The various civil and
> religious authorities ensured that the peasantry were well and truly
> conditioned to accept their role and not to develop their inborn abilities.
> While suppression of this sort could be maintained for quite a long time
> within a hierarchical society it could not be maintained for ever. The bad
> fit between the distribution of abilities and the nature of
> work/opportunities and the subsequent tensions have been the cause of
> repeated strife and savagery in every agricultural civilisation from about
X 5,000BC until the present day.

This type of society emerged due to a sufficiency of food. In the Hindus and
Mesopotamian river valleys, the need to regulate irrigation gave rise to some of the
higher orders of bureaucracy.

> 3. Manufacturing Industry. The first successful long-term development of
> manufacturing industry from about 1700 onwards in Europe meant that the
> uneducated peasants were forced off the land and into the factories. Here,
> a higher skill level was necessary and many new skills had to be acquired.
> In addition, the industrial society required a considerable extension in
> the number of professional and academic jobs, and there were huge
> opportunities for able and enterprising individuals. The pyramidal
> structure of jobs of the previous agricultural era would no longer do. The
> requirements of industrial society were much more akin to the
> diamond-shaped distribution of abilities and, generally speaking,
> industrial societies have been somewhat more peaceful than the wars and
X revolutions that characterise peasant societies.

More people have been killed by war in this century than in all of the wars before.
Industrial societies are characterized by the growth of pyramidal corporation
structures where a few lead the many and receive remuneration equivalent to thousands
of times the wages of the average person.

> 4. Post-Industrial Service society. Since about the middle of the 20th
> century, the types of industry which needed large numbers of workers of
> average abilities have seriously declined. Automation, plus an even faster
> growth of brand new service occupations, means that people with high
> abilities are at a premium. At the same time, there is a considerable
> dumbing down of many traditional service jobs.  The job structure in the
> developed countries is thus rapidly becoming more akin to an hourglass
> rather than a pyramid or a diamond. The shape of an hour-glass is very
> different from that of the diamond. The mismatch betwen abilities and
> requirements will undoubtedly lead to renewed civil problems in developed
> countries and, as some aver, a widening gulf between two parts of the human
> population.
>
> Keith Hudson, General Editor, Handlo Music, http://www.handlo.com
> 6 Upper Camden Place, Bath BA1 5HX, England
> Tel: +44 1225 312622;  Fax: +44 1225 447727; mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail account at
http://www.eudoramail.com