Thanks, Ray, for your very interesting and detailed information, both on
lead poisoning and on Russian immigrants. You did fail to mention one
important group among the Russians. Shall we call them the entrepreneurial
group? I mean the ones whose presence caused the Toronto police to set up a
"Russian crime unit". They stole two tractor-trailer loads of product
(natural gas fireplaces) from my employer 70 miles north of Toronto. It was
fortunately recovered when a Toronto cop spotted the cartons in a warehouse,
and a wiretap (requiring a translation from the Russian) led the police to
the boss. Harry Pollard might quibble about my choice of terms, but the
difference between these gentlemen and the American entrepreneurs trying to
patent the genes of indigenous people rather eludes me.

Victor