Bill,

Thank you for not resisting: "another simplistic explanation of a complex
problem."

You didn't much like my "find out why the peasants are inefficient
producers." and proceeded to explain to me how efficient they were.

It seems to me that if they are so efficient, they shouldn't need the
billions of dollars of aid that flows into the peasant cultures. If they
are so efficient, why can't they feed themselves?

Well, you have excuses for them - even though they don't need them.

You declared in your complex fashion: "The peasant family is one of the
most efficient farming units in the world."

Then, why can't they feed themselves?

I said essentially:

"The way to attack the problem  of services) is to make it possible for
people to provide them themselves."

"It must begin with a land reform that provides sufficient land for a
family to live on and expand its production."

'  .  .  .  more plans to put hoes into the hands of peasants working their
own land."

" .  .  .  they fail to carry out the important reform - letting people
escape their problems with their own effort."

"Instead of worrying about 3 billion mouths, think of 6 billion hands and
how to put them to work."

And the rest of paragraph, which you quoted:

"Second, change the economic structure so that people can do things for
themselves - instead of passing much of their production to the friendly
neighborhood rack-renting landlords."

Hey, Bill, sounds as if I think the peasants are quite capable of running
their own lives, doesn't it?

I also mentioned the Taiwanese peasants, who were so efficient that, with a
population density exceeding 1,300 to the square mile, managed toproduce a
net export of food.

So, why are so much of the world's peasantry unable to produce efficiently
enough to feed themselves.

We have clues

The peasants in the Mekong delta were highly efficient producers in that
magnificently fertile area. Yet, there living conditions weren't good.

Well, of every ten sacks of rice they produced, nine would go to the
landholder.

When American troops arrived to clear out the View Cong, behind them would
come the cousins of the landlords to collect their 9 sacks.

It was called 'winning the hearts and minds of the people'.

I suggested, and you quoted it - (without apparently addressing it further):

That there should be a change in the "economic structure so that people can
do things for themselves - instead of passing much of their production to
the friendly neighborhood rack-renting landlords."

Yet again, I suggest that peasants can and should support themselves.

But they can't - why?

If you would stop looking for complicated reasons, there is a chance you
could move to change the situation. The reason why the peasants may starve,
thereby requiring aid, isn't difficult, if you take the trouble to think it
through.

Harry