Hi Charles, Ed, and All Members still interested in money,

Just downloaded six weeks worth of mail after installing a new computer
tower, hence the very late reply.

Your last e-mail, Charles, which I quote only in part below, urges me to
say that optimists are not necessarily required to come up with all
solutions to the world's problems. It suffices that they give a damn,
and speak up. They are hardly expected to resurrect that which never had
a clear pulse to begin with.

I very much relate to systems of local currencies for the reasons you
cite, but fail to appreciate how invoking the perfect currency system
will be applied to our chaotic systems of creating money/wealth. In
other words, we need an honest system, reflective of real value in the
creation of money -- for the perfect currency system to take roots and
mean anything..

Think of the way in which governments grant leaseholds and rights to
industry to exploit natural resources owned by the nation, who is taxed
in order to support corporate startup and operational costs. Big money
gets rights to the wealth of the world, but the people who pay the taxes
to support this practice get less than nothing in return. This
government assisted investment class is quite exposed, yet even proving
such activity as price gauging at the gas pump fails to result in any
kind of redress. The privileged have ensured that the laws protect their
powers. Waiting for these leaseholds and exploration rights to expire,
then not renewing them unless on sustainable and equitable terms is one
optimistic view of making amends, but most resources have been signed
off for 50-100 year terms, as far as I know. This leaves little room for
change, as you pointed out in an overview of Gaia's predicament, that
can have effect in time for any correction by legislation..

I am counting on Gaia to correct the situation shortly. The Northwest
Passage is now clear enough for a sail from Tokyo to Boston. Arctic ice
typically melts into mid September, such that next year's permanent ice
will be much reduced. A total summer melt is forecast for 2030. With
these kinds of forces at play, I doubt we need bother about ideal
economic systems that accommodate flawed values, monetary and otherwise.

Once natural corrections temper, having displaced most destructive
industry and activity, local currency systems will likely be the only
kind to have meaning or effect. Hopefully, the internet will survive to
spread word of sustainable practices for all activity.

Thanks for your last reply,
Natalia

All of the 'missing money' you refer to below arises because of the way we