On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 09:24:45AM +0100, Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 09:48:30AM +0200, Christoph Fritz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 13:55 +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > > There is a discussion about Github's new terms of service which may
> > > not be compatible with the Gpl:
> > > https://www.mirbsd.org/permalinks/wlog-10_e20170301-tg.htm
> > >
> > > I didn't have time to read the new terms yet, but it is possible
> > > that we need to remove all fvwm repositories from Github.  The
> > > most important thing right now is to *not* *push* *anything* to
> > > Github until we've decided about this issue, because by continuing
> > > to use Github, the new terms of service are automatically accepted.
> >
> > out of curiosity: Are there any updates on this?
>
> Storm in a tea cup, really:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/do-githubs-updated-terms-of-service-conflict-with-copyleft

No that's not correct.  D.7 conflicts with this:

  /*
   * This module is all original code
   * by Rob Nation
   * Copyright 1993, Robert Nation
   *     You may use this code for any purpose, as long as the original
   *     copyright remains in the source code and all documentation
   */

D.7

  To the extent such an agreement is not enforceable by applicable
  law, you grant GitHub a nonexclusive, revocable, worldwide,
  royalty-free right to (1) use the Content without attribution
  strictly as necessary to render the Website and provide the
  Service; ...

I don't see how this is fixable without either removing all of
Rob's code or changing Github's terms and conditions.  I see no
problems between D.4 and D.5 and the GPL though.

Ciao

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--

Dominik Vogt