On Wed, 31 Aug 2005, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

On 31 Aug 2005 21:42:20 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

This is not enough, To emulate the current logic you should also add:

  Mouse 1 P N CancelPlacement
  Mouse 2 P N CancelPlacement

I.e. if you started the Move using button 1, then button 2 cancels it and
vice versa. Since you can't press button 1 again while dragging using
button 1, these binding would be ok although not immediately intuitive.

Well, actually these will not be ok if the Move is started on mouse click
(not drag) or on key press. So either we conclude your idea can't work or
we may try to somehow save it using, say, this extension:

 Mouse 0 P     N PlaceWindow
 Mouse 1 P(d0) N CancelPlacement
 Mouse 2 P(d0) N CancelPlacement
 Mouse 1 P(d1) N PlaceWindow
 Mouse 2 P(d2) N PlaceWindow
 Mouse 2 P(c)  N CancelPlacement

Where "dN" means dragging using button N and "c" means mouse click or key
press.  No, I am not a big fan of such idea, but I am not against either.

(I think the current logic about Move cancelation is good.)

Regards,
Mikhael.

I've not changed the logic for dragging of windows. IT's only the interactive movment that my patch affects. I maybe should make that more clear in the manual page. I did see no need to try to change the drag logic, as all feeling on how it should work matches with how it currently does. I.e you hold down the button the drag started with and calcel the movement by pressing any other button.

If you want to be able to use some buttons for placing the window evenif it is being dragged it could probably be conficured by also changing PlaceWindow to always place the window and add PlaceWindowInteractive and PlaceWindowDrag as well as CancelPlacementDrag/CancelPlacementInteractive, and maybe also add CancelPlacement for completness, even if it would be the same as -. However, I think that just would comlicate things. But if you think it would be better to be able to define that you want to be able to place a window you are dragging by clicking on another button as well I can try to add that.

How should the PlacedByButton n condition be affected by a drag move?
I think I have to move the assignment of PlacedByButton to the start of ButonRelease instead of the end of ButtonPress for best functionality. I'll not sublit a new patch for just that until I know if you want the ability to place dragged windows with another button than the drag started with or not.

/Viktor