On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Viktor Griph wrote:
[snip]
I see no reason to ever want to have the button that started the drag to cancel a move. (And it would require new tests in the ButtonRelease even handling to implement) What seems to be the spimplest to solution is to "hardcode" (actually not handle specially) that if you release the button the move started with the window is placed - regardless of whatever bindings you have set up for Pressing the button during the move.

Then I would only need for one more binding action. And possible some deactivating actions. The only thing that would have to be defined, in one way or another, is buttons pressable without movement cancelation while dragging. That together with buttons that can be used to place interactivly moved windows also defins buttons canceling movement.

Mouse 0 P N PlaceWindow
Mouse 1 P N CancelPlacementDrag
Mouse 2 P N CancelPlacement

Would then match the current default
Suggested allowed Actuiions would be
PlaceWindow / PlaceWindowInteractive / PlaceWindowDrag
CancelPlacement / CancelPlacementInteractive / CancelPlacementDrag
With - being equvalint of CancelPlacement

PlaceWindow equvalent of PlaceWindowInteractive and PlaceWindowDrag
with the CancelPlacement counterparts. If you see any case where that wouldn't be enough (given that the check is for button press and not release, and you can't press a button being held).

I've implemented this. And tried to explain the cuntionality in the man page. Updated patch attached.

/Viktor