On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 05:57:48PM +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 05:52:27AM -0500, FVWM CVS wrote:
> > CVSROOT:    /home/cvs/fvwm
> > Module name:        fvwm
> > Changes by: domivogt        02/06/18 05:52:27
>
> > * Tabified all sources and removed trailing spaces.
> >

> Dominik, do you use a tool to automatically reindent the code?
> If yes, which one (with the version)?

Xemacs:

 - Go to beginning of file.
 - Set a mark.
 - Go to end of file.
 - M-x indent-region

This is eqivalent of pressing tab in each line.  Then I tabbified
all files:

 - Go to beginning of file.
 - Set a mark.
 - Go to end of file.
 - M-x tabify

> Also we may try to all share a common (x)emacs config about
> indentation.

I'd like to simply use the default config so I don't have to
change it for every project I'm working on.  I know that it's
theoretically possible to configure this differently for each
project, but I was never able to understand the way it works.

> - the position of the args of a function when the function does
> not fit on one line (80 column).

I do the line breaks manually in this case.  With long function
names, beginning a new line right after the ofening parenthesis
saves a lot of space for on the line for the arguments.  E.g.

  blablabla_variablename = verlylongfunctionname(
          argument1, argument2, argument3);

or

  blablabla_variablename =
          verlylongfunctionname(argument1, argument2, argument3);

instead of

  blablabla_variablename = verlylongfunctionname(argument1,
                                                 argument2,
                                                 argument3);

I don't really care about which is chosen.  The code should just
be readable (the last version isn't if the argument list gets too
long; it also wastes a lot of space).  What exactly is the
problem?

> - To get the Tab key automatically indent lines I can have
> tabs only at the beginning of a line. So I cannot have:
> foo[] = {"abc",\t"xyz",\t"blabla"}

Huh?  Works like a charm for me.  What function is bound to your
tab key?  I have c-indent-command.

> - Really I like tabs with a width of 8 spaces, but for the first tab.
> I think that the first tab should be something like 2 or 3 spaces
> (I think this is possible with (x)emacs).

I have recently adapted the Linux kernel coding conventions in all
the code I write (at work too).  I'm quite happy with it,
especially since I don't have to tinker with the xemacs default
configuration anymore.  Sure, it's not really important to have a
big indentation at the first position, just easier to configure.

I know it's often ugly to enforce these conventions on existing
files.  But in new code it's actually a good thing to have *less*
space on the line because it forces you to think more about the
way you write.

Mikhael, what do you think about this?

Dominik Vogt, email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20