On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 01:29:39PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:

> > I hope we have none such strings.
>
> Sorry, but we have a lot of such strings. XError.c, ewmh.c, fvwm.c,
> session.c, stack.c, FvwmIdent.c and so on.
>
> > > It's not only strings; statements and comments are now full of TABs.
> >
> > Hm, statements and comments?  They shouldn't have more than a
> > single space anywhere.  When I come across any in-line formatting
> > I remove that anyway.  The way I format code, tabifying it is
> > completely safe.
>
> Every GPL header now contains 2 TABs. Take a look at your paragraph above,
> 3 double spaces. tabify would replace some of them with TAB, then adding
> "> " prefix would make the quote strewn. Diffs (with a leading "+" prefix)
> look strewn on lines with TAB in the middle.
>
> Unless tabify may be configured to only handle leading spaces, it is not
> suitable for an automatic replacement.
>
> > > I would not use the emacs's tabify, TABs in the middle of line are bad.
>
> I will fix this in several minutes.

Okay, thanks.  I should really have been more careful.  Just
because I can safely do that with the code I write does not mean
it's safe on all existing code, strings, comments etc.  Hm, I once
played with "indent", but it lacked the flexibity I needed.  It
would still be good to have a program that re-indents our sources
properly.