On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 07:21:21PM +0200, Fr??d??ric Perrin wrote:

> I am using an AZERTY keyboard, and the keys above the lettres don't work
> the first time I start fvwm: the action bound to them isn't executed,
> and the windows that has the focus receives the keypress. If I simply
> restart fvwm (just fvwm, not X), they do work, without me doing anything
> else. This is on Linux ; the same config on FreeBSD works.
>
> I'm not using xbindkeys, nor anything that could interfer (as far as I
> can see). Anything else I can look into to see where this comes from ?

I had similar issues. I think this first happened to me when I upgraded
HAL/evdev. Anyway, it turns out that all programs loaded before your
keyboard map is initialized will not see your new keyboard map.

The fix is simple. Just run setxkbmap / xmodmap / whatever you use
*before* any X clients (including fvwm) are loaded. For example, in my
~/.xinitrc:

    which setxkbmap >& /dev/null && setxkbmap us
    [[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ]] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
    exec fvwm

GI

--
'Reference Manual' -- Object that raises the monitor to eye level. Also
used to compensate for that short table leg.