On Fri, 17 Dec 2010, Lucio Chiappetti wrote:

I've tried a xwininfo (under fvmw) on both the old and new system (*) and for both I get Visual Class: TrueColor. The old one (suse 9.2) however gives Depth: 16, and the new one Depth: 24 ... will THAT make a difference?

Apparently not.

Found an easy way to change depth (added DefaultDepth 16 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-screen.conf, restarted and checked), and still I get the white on black bars.

Italian Research at risk.                La Ricerca italiana a rischio !
see http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/nobrain.html cfr.