On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 04:04:34PM -0600, Glenn Golden wrote:
> Thomas Adam writes:
> > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 02:27:13PM -0600, Glenn Golden wrote:
> > > In any case, to put this particular sub-question to rest: I just started
> > > fv
> >wm
> > > with "-f /dev/null" and got the same results as earlier described.  So
> > > agai
> > > this seems to point away from anything having to do with my config setup.
> >
> > Then check the system-wide configs to see if something else is doing it.
> > That's all it can be at this point.
> >

> Whoaaa.  I don't understand. The "INITIALIZATION" section of fvwm.1 seems
> pretty clear that only the first-encountered config file is used.  That in
> turn would seem to imply that when "-f" is used to explicitly specify the
> config file -- as I'm doing, both with my real config file and with

I might have missed how you start FVWM normally.  I was not referring to
"-f" invoking anything not in SetRCDefaults() and
$(fvwm-config -d)/ConfigFvwmDefaults -- I've spoken about how FVWM goes
through its initialisation sequence at some length on this list in the past.
Go look in the archives if you're interested.

Either way both of those things are now out of scope to your problem.

> What "other" configuration files are you referring to that are potentially
> examined during initialization?

See above.

> For completeness sake, I searched all my filesystems for files named "config",
> and examined each one.  Other than ~/.fvwm/config, there are none related to

You're wasting your time.  Please get me the following:

strace -f -o /tmp/fvwm-strace -eopen fvwm -f /dev/null

No need for GDB, I'll be able to tell from the above output what's going on.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"Deep in my heart I wish I was wrong.  But deep in my heart I know I am
not." -- Morrissey ("Girl Least Likely To" -- off of Viva Hate.)