On 21/01/04 12:43, "gf sciacca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> any idea about how to recover without having to re-install? Since I have
> access to the partition via the shell when trying to boot on it, there's
> perhaps a simple way?
>
> Two more things:
>
> Files on /private/etc/ (such as the affected
> master.passwd) are hidden files and I can't access them booting from
> another partiton.
>
> In another machine (running Jaguar) I can Change Dir to
> /private/etc/ and access the files from Terminal, but in this case I can't
> CD or list them, as I get the mentioned error
>
> I'm not even sure if install & archive would cure this?
>
> thanks for anay help, gianfranco
>
>> It looks like Norton did screw up your OS X partition...
>>
>> -Laurent.

I'm not sure how you could go about that. Try recovering your home folder if
you can. If it is a laptop, you could try to use it in FireWire mode from
another Mac. Then, I'm afraid you will have to do a full install. You could
try the archive and install, but I'm not sure it will work as it seems that
the OS is expecting directories where it finds files and vice versa...

-Laurent.