The status of ones health during the early years can be inferred from
dentition, these dental markers of environmental stress are totally absent from
the population interred there, i.e they came to Qumran healthy, but died there
very young, in fact the chances of making it to 40 at Jericho were 8 times
greater. As a result I personally feel that the population there in the
cemetery is, from an anthro. perspective one of the unhealthest  that I've seen
in 3 decades of research. The reason, the water supply, in Jericho its fresh
365 days a year, in Qumran, only in winter months when the wadis are flooded
with flash floods. See yourself going into the mikva twice a day in water which
has been standing for months, in which all your 'mates' did the double dip ?
I'd take my chances with a toxic waste dump :-) as opposed to the mikva at
Qumran. Particularly as the parasites which we recovered  in Locus 51 and the
plateau some distance from the site, cause, among other things,
 intestinal distress.

David Stacey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:     Joe, I assure you that I never go
into new age bookstores; nor  do I hold a candle for Itzhar with whom I had
disagreements about other things  than Qumran. My interest in Qumran grew out
of my work in Jericho. There are  great similarities between the two sites, and
some differences that can be  accounted for by the likely different uses the
two sites had. The engineers who  built the aqueduct to Ein el-Aujar would
certainly have been  aware of the potential water that could be gathered at
Qumran and could be  utilised to save using the expensive spring water for
other than irrigating  balsam and for domestic purposes. The royal estate was
unlikely to have allowed  such a resource out of its control. Re paupers
getting to Qumran. I think  you underestimate the capabilities of  our
ancestors. It would not have  been beyond their ingenuity to organise relays of
people/animals to get a corpse  from Jerusalem to Qumran in
 24 hours ( and then, cynically, I would add, when  dealing with a pauper,  who
would be too concerned about the technicalities  - lets get the poor fellow in
the ground!).

 I seem to remember an article you once wrote blaming the poor  health and
premature death of most of the Qumran skeletons to the appalling  quality of
the water in the mikvaot after a couple of months of summer heat.  This seems
to contradict your last sentence

 David