And yet you admit that many of the burials in Qumran were secondary and thus
had nothing to do with the conditions in Qumran itself........  However I agree
wholeheartedly about the likely state of the standing water in Q after a few
weeks of the incessant heat of summer. It is one of the reasons why I see most
of the population at Q being seasonal for most of the site's existence. A
year's supply of pottery, tanned hides, dyed yarn could be produced during a
few winter weeks when the water was at its freshest (Dennis Mizzi tells me
that, in 19th century Malta - where water was also at a premium - one day in
the year was set aside for the production of ALL the local pottery needs for
the next year).

As we have strayed away from the original thrust of my article which was
dealing with the archaeology of the aqueducts let's consider the dating of the
cemetery. From the frugal amount of pottery found in association with the
graves it would appear that most of the graves date from the time of Herod
onwards. It was frequently noted by de Vaux that the mud-bricks used to cover
the side chambers were full of sherds. These bricks could either have come from
an earlier destruction in Qumran or could have been made especially. In either
case when they were made there were plenty of sherds lying around, which would
indicate that the site had been occupied for some while. Do you know if any of
these sherds were dated or saved separately? There are two anomalous graves
which might be dateable to the Hasmonean period; tomb 1000 (where the cooking
pot could be late 2nd cent BCE) and the grave with no body but several
Hasmonean/early Herodian storage jars excavated by Magen. As there could only
have been seasonal occupation of Q in the Hasmonean period I would not expect
many burials there in that period. It is only with the expansion of the
aqueduct system and the water storage cisterns (L 71, L91 etc) that some
permanent occupation was possible alongside the continued seasonal work of
particular tradesmen. With the expansion of Masada, the rebuilding of Hyrcania
and  Machaerus and the construction of Callirhoe, Herod needed a distribution
depot that would have demanded a few permanent staff. It would have been this
permanent staff who would have encouraged the burial of the dead in Q. For them
it would have been a business. You admit that many of the corpses came from
elsewhere, I suggest Callirhoe, Machaerus and Nabatea (we know from the Tabitha
letters that Jews had estates there - moreover quite a lot of nabatean pottery
was found at Q) and, possibly, paupers from the hill country. You have not said
where you think these secondary burials originated. If you are to speculate
that they were Essenes from communities in e.g. Jerusalem then your argument
that it was impossible to schlep a body down in time is, i would suggest, more
valid against an Essene whose community would have  cared if he was buried in
time than against a pauper who had difficulty feeding himself nevermind
complying with strict religious laws.

We know that Jericho was largely abandoned after c 50 CE but the balsam
industry continued (see the papyrus in Masada Vol II recording the dealings in
balsam of a Roman garrison soldier) so, ironically it may be that Q would have
become more important in that period. Is there any positive evidence that the
cemetery ceased being used after the first revolt?