On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, bb271 wrote:
>> Personally, I find comopressing 40GB of data (OK, of which "only" 6.5GB is
>> used) down to 3.2GB pretty good.
> I didn't explain myself very well.  Yes I agree Hubert that it is very good.
> There does not seem to be a downside to GZIP=1 and that is what I was curious
> about.  Perhaps this is particular to my setup and data?

I think so. IIRC, gzip -9 tries to be even more sophisticated when finding
patterns to compress, but also for the cost of using more RAM and much
more time. In the end the ratio depends on what you have on the disk - if
image size doesn't matter and time to get the image done is limited (the
usual case) then -1 is preferable over -9.

  - Hubert