Hi Dark,

First, let me say you guys in the U.K. are seriously getting ripped
off or things are darned expensive, but I can't imagine paying $57 or
more for an audio book. Just out of curiosity I checked Amazon.com and
found the complete unabridged version of Knights of Dark Renown on CD
for $41 and that is $16 less than the price you quoted on a physical
media like CD. I didn't check Audible, but I suspect it is less since
they tend to be a lot cheaper than Amazon.com because of being a
digital download rather than being on physical media like tape or CD.
Still, it sounds to me like you guys in the U.K. are getting some
extra markup somewhere.

However, as to your point about the assessment of profit that is quite
correct. That's generally the way it works with people hired to do
acting etc. The company hires an actor or actress to do some acting
for a set fee specified in their contract and that is that. Once the
production gets sold the company retains both the royalties and
profits for the production. Right or wrong it is something both
parties generally agree to before hand.

For example, let us say I write an audio game and hire a few actors
and actresses to do a few lines for the game. I agree to pay them $100
each for their voice work. I pay them in advance for the voice work
$100, and a few months later release the game and it makes $5000 over
the course of the first few weeks. Should I then begin sending the
voice actors and actresses a check their percentage of the profit when
we already agreed on their payment for their work?

This is the way most companies view employment. The person hired to do
a job is only the employee and they agree to their wages. Once they
leave the employers company they do not retain the rights to their
work because the agreed to turn any and all intellectual property
rights over to the company in their contract. If companies didn't do
this they would constantly be paying money out for royalties and could
run the risk of someone simply leaving the company and taking their
product with them leaving the company with nothing.

For instance, assume I got a job with Capcom and I came up with an
awesome game called Super
Dynaman.This game makes millions, and I decide I'm not making enough
money since it was my idea. I take Capcom to court suing for a bigger
cut of the pie. If companies didn't protect themselves by retaining
the rights to the products and services they sell they'd have
employees clambering for increasing bigger cuts of the profit and
ultimately that would be destructive to the company as a whole.

However, I do take your point that all to often the CEOs and other fat
cats high up in management keep the majority of the profits for
themselves rather than redistributing the profits more evenly among
its employees. I agree that is really unfair since many corporate
execs would rather line their pockets with millions while their
employees get practically nothing and have to scratch and scrape for a
living wage as well as things like health care. While I can freely
agree this is wrong I think we should blame the people responsible
such as the execs who love money more than care for their fellow man
rather than making general statements of the evils of corporations.
Anyway, I take your point about being personable rather than sounding
like a machine. I don't know too many audio game developers who really
have this problem, but I do agree I would work with someone who has a
personality than someone who sounds like a machine. Commander Data has
more personality than some of the corporate types I have dealt with.
:D