Sure, I'd love a huge library of varied titles to choose from as much
as the next bored blind guy with a penchant for gaming, but to be
blunt, saying "I want this, we need that" doesn't actually do much.
For your "I want this, we need that" to become a reality, the fact is
that somebody has got to sit down and put in the hours of story
creation, game design, and hard graft coding to make the product.  The
reason that people use the GMA engine seems to be that it's stable and
will save them hundreds of hours of building their own from scratch.
The reason that we're lacking variation is that a developer with a
great imagination, top writing skills, a knack for inivative
usability, bags of skill at writing code, and tons of time to pour
into all those things and probably some others I've missed hasn't
materialised yet.  The creation of mainstream titles has that work
load spread across huge teams of people in the cases of the games you
mentioned, most of the time we're talking about whole teams for each
specific area.  Every one of those people gets paid full time to do
it, has an actual budget to work with, and has probably fought pretty
hard to be doing the job they're doing.  Maybe you're actually the
developer we need having read all that?  I know I'm not.

I skated over a few points about graphics etc because they were...
well... a bit ridiculous.
Sorry it's slightly ranty, I've just had a surprising hour of
discovering how much playability there is left in the games I own now
I've switched away from the keyboard and I don't like seeing the good
developers we actually do have being put down much.

Scott