I know that we will never agree in terms of screen reader. It's like clothes, it's a matter of taste. And each person uses the computer diffrently with diffrent purposes and diffrent applications etc.
I personally love NVDA and honestly it's my favourite screen reader.
I love the screen reader on itself, and I like the concept!
I think that blind people should pay for what they need in life just like everyone else. But the access to the computers is somehow diffrent because it involves access to education and access to emploiment etc. When you have someone who will employ a blind person and he or she knows that he will have to pay more than one thousand Euros for allowing this blind person working for me, he or she will probably think twice. If you have a freeware screenreader, at least you have the option of doing it otherwise and you have the possibility of employing a person for no more cost than other workers.. A freeware screenreader opens a lot of doors for blind people all around the world and remember that blind people are not only from rich countries. Allthough you probably don't listen them much on this list, there are blind people in a lot of countries in development.
And nvda opened the door to them to legally have access to school and work.
You will not ask schools in poor countries to pay more than 1000 Euros for teaching blind students with computers don't you? I don't care eif it's better or worst and even more, I think there is space for everyone. If you have a lot of money and want something extraordinary and wonderful buy your beautiful jaws!
But others also have the right to use computers.
For me NVVDA does everything what I need and it's light, eficient and suits all my needs. If you give me a legal copy of others, I will stay with nvda because I simply like it. Allthough NVDA is not competing with comercial screen readers, I understand why their sellers are nervous! And my last point the people who most criticize NVDA, we know very well why they do it and we also know what very often they do with comercial ones.
Cheers,
Jorge

Jorge Gonçalves
jopo...@hotmail.com