I believe we are looking at the situation from different angles.  If I were
simply looking for a marketable game, then I completely agree with you.  More
money can be pulled from an an existing game design, as long as you twist the
story and game play enough to be entertaining.  I, however, am not marketing my
games, so my goals in creating them are not the same.

For me, when I am working on a game, I am trying to stand out and to offer up
something new and innovative.  If 100 people specifically told me they would
pay money for a pacman game that had a high score system, as an example, I
probably still wouldn't make it simply because it goes against my efforts to
innovate.  Some other developer, who has more of a marketing goal, would be
able to swoop in and punch out exactly what the people are willing to pay money
for.

You always need both kinds of people.  One group of developers profits by
giving people what they specifically ask for, and the other group hopes to give
people what they didn't even know they wanted yet.  Out of the two roads, I am
clearly taking the more difficult, and less financially rewarding one.  lol, I
suppose I am literally admitting that I'm foolish with how I do things.  Oh
well, I guess I can't change what makes me happy, so I'll have to just continue
down the road I've chosen.