 From: Daniel Pocock <dan...@pocock.com.au>
To: ganglia-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-developers] Ganglia Web repo moved

> Speaking of Ganglia Web we should release a new version of Ganglia with
> the new web frontend included. I propose following
>
> 1. Remove web-frontend from monitor-core
> 2. Allow Ganglia Web to be versioned separately for those that want to get
> more up to date web UI. We can call that gweb

I don't think that is necessary (see my reason below) - people that just
want to have a more up to date web UI can just download the latest
version to their web server, without using the latest gmond code

> 3. Bundle Ganglia such as that it bundles monitor-core and ganglia-web
> together. In the release notes than specify that e.g. Ganglia 3.2.1 is
> monitor-core 3.2.1 and ganglia-web 2.2.1.

I think it is workable, but it may add more effort to keep versions
synchronised (e.g. keeping a table listing which combinations of
gmond/gmetad/web are safe)

When you give people a single bundle with everything having one version
number, there will hopefully be less support questions

Another slight variation (although not what I am in favour of) is this:
- keep separate Ganglia-monitor and Ganglia-web repos, as you have have
now, and with different version numbers
- release them separately
- packaging teams (e.g. for Debian) release a `virtual' package, such as
`ganglia-monitor-full' or `ganglia-reporting-suite', that depends on the
real packages

If we are going to go down this path with multiple version numbers, then
maybe version number checking is needed.  E.g. I added metrics to
mod_gstatus so it reports agent versions as strings, maybe that should
be enabled by default?

The gmetad XML has a version too:
<GANGLIA_XML VERSION="3.1.7" SOURCE="gmetad">

If the web UI is receiving version numbers for all the gmonds and
gmetads, then it can quickly spot compatibility issues