> Can you explain how it would have made your life easier for rebasing
> code if we were using Git instead of SVN?

First off - maybe because I am not a SVN expert. But my experience has
shown me that where I have had to struggle with SVN to manage
branches, individual commit cherry picks and merging, git "just did
it". Today again, I had to manually reformat the patch to apply it to
trunk. Again, I am not a heavy SVN user, I switched to git when I
started with "advanced" repo stuff.

With git, my workflow would be:
- clone repo
- checkout tag 3.1.7
- apply external patch
- commit
- rebase to HEAD
- format patch and send it (or even better, send a pull request)

Do you see a comparatively easy approach in SVN where original patch
just won't apply because code offsets were through the roof compared
to context included in a diff and manual page states you can't
increase fuzz factor (offset search) above number of context lines?

Fact is - occasional contributors will usually not bother creating
patches against trunk in the first place, but against code they have
at hand and which they are trying to "fix". Complicating the patch
submission procedure will only decrease the number of patches flowing
upstream.

Take care,
b.

PS: These are just personal thoughts, nothing more. I just realised I
am much like you for one of my OSS mini projects, but then again I
assumed, that unlike mine project, ganglia consumes relevant part of
your work life, which may not be the case.

b.