Hi Michael:

You can try looking at the XML representation of the metric data from
each of your gmonds to figure out what's different between them.  You
can accomplish this by doing:

nc localhost 8649 (assuming you are using the default gmond port of 8649)

This should spit out all the metric data of all hosts gmond is aware of.

What's the output of `df -h` on both systems, do they look different?

Cheers,

Bernard

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Michael Bravo <mike.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> More precisely, some metrics seem to be collected, and periodically
> sent, such as
>
>       metric 'disk_free' being collected now
> Counting device /dev/root (6.21 %)
> For all disks: 142.835 GB total, 133.963 GB free for users.
>        metric 'disk_free' has value_threshold 1.000000
>        metric 'part_max_used' being collected now
> Counting device /dev/root (6.21 %)
> For all disks: 142.835 GB total, 133.963 GB free for users.
>        metric 'part_max_used' has value_threshold 1.000000
>

> and then (I think around time_threshold expiration)
>
>        sent message 'disk_free' of length 52 with 0 errors
>        sent message 'part_max_used' of length 52 with 0 errors
>
> also, on startup all of these metrics seem to be prepared correctly:
>
>       sending metadata for metric: disk_free
>        sent message 'disk_free' of length 52 with 0 errors
>        sending metadata for metric: part_max_used
>        sent message 'part_max_used' of length 52 with 0 error
>
> etc and so on
>
> but none of these metrics appear in the node report at the web
> frontend, as I listed in original message
>
> where does the "Local disk: unknown" part coming from then?
>
> what is the most baffling, is that this problem host is completely
> identical to the one next to it, which has zero problems
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Michael Bravo <mike.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I did try that, in non-daemonized mode, however there weren't any
>> evident errors popping up (and there's a lot of information coming up
>> that way), so perhaps I need an idea what to look for.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Ron Cavallo <ron_cava...@s5a.com> wrote:
>>> Have you tried stating up gmond on the effected server with debug set to
>>> 10 in the gmond.conf? This may show some of the collection problems its
>>> having more specifically....
>>>
>>> -RC
>>>

>>> Ron Cavallo
>>> Sr. Director, Infrastructure