I think now I have observed the system for a few hours more, I can
generalize a bit, but as to 'df -h' output - it is identical, save for
a minimal difference in space actually free/used.

However, let me describe the setup in more detail.

There are 5 hosts in one datacenter, which comprise the cluster being
monitored and run gmond, and one in another, which runs web frontend
and gmetad.

let's say those are host1-host5 and then host-web.

The 5 hosts in question are just idling before being put under
production load, and so most of the metrics are near zero.

host1 is the collector - the other 4 hosts report via unicast to it.
host-web then polls it.

host-web(gmetad) <---------> host1 (gmond)
                                           ^---------host2 (gmond)
                                           ^---------host3 (gmond)
                                           ^---------host4 (gmond)
                                           ^---------host5 (gmond)

something like this

Now, during the day in this timezone, while some preproduction work
was being done at the hosts1-5, all of them but the problematic host3
had all of the default metrics reported and graphed. That was when I
first wrote to the list.

However, now that it is close to midnight here and most everyone has
gone home, I find that the ONLY host that has all of the default
metrics is the host1, the collector (which also listens), while others
lost everything but up/down state. Like this (physical view):

host5
Last heartbeat 10s
cpu: 0.00G mem: 0.00G

host4
Last heartbeat 10s
cpu: 0.00G mem: 0.00G

host3
Last heartbeat 1s
cpu: 0.00G mem: 0.00G

host2
Last heartbeat 8s
cpu: 1.95G (4) mem: 0.00G

host1
0.14
Last heartbeat 1s
cpu: 1.95G (4) mem: 7.80G

So, just out of pure speculation I could attribute this metric loss to
all metrics being under value_threshold, but.... what about
time_threshold? And why is the collector host holding onto its metrics
while others lost theirs but keep the heartbeats?

I feel confused, which is probably an indicator that I am missing
something obvious...