OMG, send_metadata_interval wasn't set > 0

that *looks* like the very likely culprit and that missed obvious
thing I was talking about

I will try setting this right and se if it fixes the problem. If not,
I will post gmond.conf, and if yes, I will report back to mark the
problem as solved.

Thank you very much.